Monday, May 11, 2009

09.05.09

I didn't hear my name get called yesterday saying my host mom was going to pick me up at 9, so this morning at 8:20 I was a little rushed with packing, eating, and waking up. Almost everyone is staying with a family, but my situation is a little different. My gastfamilie consists of Frau Doris Wagner, her cat Charlie, and Nathan (another Canadian from Regina). She picked us up and off we were to Baunatal, a village pretty much attached to the S.W. corner of Kassel. We got unpacked and a little settled down and then off we were into Kassel. We took the straßenbahn (tram) into the city so we would know the way to get to school. Kassel isn't the most beautiful German city (Over 80% was destroyed in the war because of a tank factory and then it was rebuilt in the wonderful 50s-70s architecture) Doris went back home and Nathan and I spent a few hours walking around the city. Good god...we counted 11 mullets today...mostly on men..but 1 or 2 on females..ugh! We watched a little tv but I went to bed early because I was stupidly tired..almost falling asleep at the supper table!
Oh yeah! The straßenbahn was not running for a few hours today because of a demonstration. The ice hockey team, The Huskeys, were demonstrating because they didn't have enough money and wanted more from the city. No clue if they got what they wanted or not.

No comments: